G'Day All!

DJAdumbration

G'Day,

I'm a DJ noob from the Central Coast of NSW (just north of Sydney). I've had a love of music since I was a kid and dance music in particular since about 1999. It took me until about 2008 until I got my first set of decks. Admittedly it was just the incredibly cheap set from JB Hifi with 2 CD decks and mixer all in one. They did the job though, I'll have to say for $400 you really can't go wrong with them. However after just fooling around for a couple of years I had my 30th birthday this year and decided to upgrade and put on a proper performance.

I now have a pair of Denon decks - a S1200 and HS5500. The HS5500 does not have the CDROM or HDD caddy options, I just use the USB port to connect up USB media. With the S1200, I mostly use the USB port for media but do use the CD drive from time to time.

I'm now on the lookout for a 3-4 channel mixer (the HS5500 can be used as two decks in one - rather handy but there are some limitations). For my party I had the pleasure of using a Pioneer 4 channel mixer. Absolute joy to use but well and truly out of my price range. For the moment, I just use the mixer on the old set from JB hooked up to a home theatre.

Anyway, I mostly mix house and trance primarily as they seem to come easily to me. I love listening to breaks and hip-hop but trying to mix these causes me grief every time I try. But I'm not giving up yet!

Ciao

Adumbration

hey mate welcome :safe:

yeah man i too would love to mixxx hip hop and booty tech/ bmore like the way say craze or z-trip do but keep train wrecking and revert back to disco and house. but im sticking to it!!

good thing is a lot of new 2step and booty tech tracks end all jacking or wonky so can jump into jacking house or fidget track then try to make my way back (well thats what ive been doing to avoid crapping out).

Hmm, I'll have to give Audacity go. So far, I've been using GoldWave. I might wait till I get my new mixer before I record the set list from my party.

I've started to suspect my current mixer doesn't have enough oomph to run both speakers and recording output at the same time (I actually have to turn the stereo RIGHT up when I'm recording a set). Still, can't complain for the price I paid for it!

Actually, something I quite liked about lerning on this set of decks - no BPM counter. I had to learn to do it all by learning to count beats and actively listen to the music. And another little "quirk" of the decks - they appear to store about 10-25 seconds of the track in memory when paused and once this is used up, continue direct from the cd (I suspect...). Problem is, on rare occasions there is a tiny half-beat difference when switching. So you'd have the first part of the track all lined up perfectly then, you'd find you're half a beat off half way through fading into the track. Bit of a pain but it did teach me to fix up mistakes very rapidly!

Once again, thanks for the tips and welcome!

Cheers

Adumbration